Top Ten with Liz Van Vliet
The lovely Liz Van Vliet shares her Top Ten tips on resources to get you motivated including books to read, podcasts to listen to, apps to check out and words to live by. Liz is a global keynote speaker, certified executive coach and trainer leveraging her Linchpin Assist Model®, Assistant Competency Model® and the Ten Power Skills for Linchpin Assistants®. She is passionate about advancing the administrative profession globally so they can thrive in their career and life.
Top Ten with Liz Van Vliet
1) Book – Stolen Focus by Johann Hari. There are now a proliferation of books that highlight the necessity for us to reclaim our attention and focus in order to be healthier, happier and more effective. This is one of my favourites. It will make you think and keep you thinking.
2) Podcast – Speaking with Confidence. In order to influence others, manage up effectively and lead from ‘where you are’ you need to have the ability to speak with confidence. If you are someone who loses your words when you’re nervous, rambles when you’re excited or actively avoids public speaking then this is a podcast for you. It’s hosted by Cat Matson, a Brisbane based business buddy of mine (what a tongue-twister that is).
3) Tedx Talk – Brene Brown, The Anatomy of Trust. Building and maintaining trust is an essential component of being what I describe as a Linchpin Assistant. In this short video Brene shares what builds trust using the acronym B.R.A.V.I.N.G.
4) Words To Live By – Each week I post a #wednesdaywisdom on my Instagram page. One of my recent favourites was “Without strategy, execution is aimless. Without execution, strategy is useless”. This is a quote from Morris Chang, a Taiwanese-American businessman who built his career in the United States and subsequently in Taiwan as a pioneer in the semiconductor industry.
5) App – I’ve recently been utilising Google Translate as I was travelling in France and Italy in August 2022. I L.O.V.E. technology that helps us connect with each other.
6) Song – When I need a boost I listen to The Champion by Carrie Underwood featuring Ludacris. It’s a song I have in my ‘Girl Power’ playlist and it never fails to light a fire within me.
7) Exercise – I’m a keen swimmer and I am recommending a swimming drill that is great for both helping you regulate your breathing as well as giving you a lovely meditative breathing experience. You can find the instructions here.
8) YouTube Video – Locating Yourself courtesy of The Conscious Leadership Group. Watch it to see an animation about the concept of ‘above the line’ and ‘below the line’ thinking and behavior. I share this video in all my training because I believe that the ability to reset your mindset is another key trait of a Linchpin Assistant.
9) Book – Woman of Influence by Jo Miller. The book provides practical, actionable steps that walk you through 9 specific steps you can take to build your brand, establish your legacy and thrive. It includes self-assessments, exercises and checklists to help you amplify your achievements.
10) Podcast – Assist with Impact hosted by me! This is my podcast for assistants that has been running for over six years where I share the tips and techniques that will help you show up differently and assist your executive with impact. If you haven’t yet listened to my episode with Candice Burningham (Founder of Admin Avenues), you can listen HERE. You can find my podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts.
Do you have any tips you’d like to share? Leave a comment below or write to us at [email protected]. We love to hear from our community!